Home Page

Contractor Registration

The State of Iowa requires that "Construction Contractors" register with the Iowa Division of Labor and renew registration annually. More information can be found by reviewing the Iowa Code and Administrative Rules.

Use the Public Search option to see if a contractor is currently registered with the Iowa Division of Labor.

Iowa law requires all individual contractors and businesses performing "construction" work within Iowa to be registered with the Iowa Division of Labor, if they earn at least $2,000.00 a year from that work. Individuals or businesses making less than $2,000.00 a year on "construction" work, or who work only on their own real estate or property, are not required to register.

Registered Contractors

If you are already a registered contractor, you can access your registration by clicking on the 'My Contractor Registrations' link. This will take you to the Iowa Enterprise A&A (Authentication & Authorization) site. Once you've signed in you will be returned to the 'My Contractor Registrations' page and can view your Contractor Registration information, download a copy of your Registration Certificate, make payments, or renew your registration. NOTE that the email address and FEIN you use when setting up your A&A account MUST MATCH the information you provided when you registered as a contractor.

If you encounter any problems please contact the Contractor Registration staff at 515-242-5871, or email at contractor.registration@iwd.iowa.gov.

Registering with the Iowa Division of Labor

If you want to register as a contractor in the State of Iowa, use the 'New User Account' link to set up an account with the Iowa Enterprise A&A system. When you return to this page, use the 'Apply for a Contractor Registration' link to enter your application. NOTE that you will need to provide a copy of your Certificate of Insurance from your workers' compansation insurance company showing the effective date of coverage and listing the Iowa Division of Labor as the certificate holder, or a copy of a Certificate of Relief issued by the Iowa Insurance Division, if self-insured.


While all contractors must register, some contractors register without paying the $50.00 fee. A self-employed contractor who does not pay more than $2,000.00 annually in wages to employ other people, and who does not work with or for other contractors in the same phase of construction at a job site, qualifies to register at no charge. If you meet the conditions, complete the Fee Exemption Form, have it notarized, and send it instead of payment with the registration application.

Registering an Out-of-State Business

If a contractor's principal place of business is located outside of Iowa, the contractor must file a $25,000.00 surety bond to register as well as fill out an Out-of-State Contractor Bond Form. The contractor must file a bond (with original signatures and original surety company seal) when applying for the construction contractor registration number. The contractors bond must be executed by a surety company licensed to do business in Iowa, and it must be issued on the bond form provided by the Iowa Division of Labor. Having a branch office in Iowa does not necessarily qualify as an in-state contractor if the contractor's business is primarily based outside of Iowa.

Other Information Required

The application cannot be completed without an Iowa Unemployment Insurance account number and appropriate federal identification or social security numbers. Please have that information ready when you begin your registration process. If you have the Certificate of Insurance, Certificate of Relief, Fee Exemption Form, and/or Out-of-State Contractor Bond Form in electronic (PDF) format, you can attach them to your application. If not you can mail them to the Iowa Division of Labor - Contractor Registration. Our office does not accept walk-ins, cash or credit cards. Note that your application cannot be processed until these forms are received.